As summer starts to come to an end, the weather gets cooler and the days get busier. A lot of people have a love/hate relationship with going back to school, which is completely understandable. With school starting back, leaves change colors, tank tops change to sweatshirts, sandals change to boots, and weekends turn to football. College game days are a big deal here in the South (and a good reason to play dress-up). Instead of spending a relaxing weekend at home or snuggled up in your dorm room, hundreds of people will get up early, put on their most spirited clothes and head to their favorite stadium. The Refinery is our small boutique in Jonesboro, Arkansas which is home of the Arkansas State Red Wolves! Arkansas State University has about 12,000 students, and one thing we don’t joke about is our football team. The spirit and love for the university is at its peak on game days. A favorite game day activity is tailgating! The tailgates consist of food, drinks, games, music, and friends. So the question remains – what do you wear? The answer can be narrowed down into two categories – cute and dressy or cute and casual. If you decide to be a little dressier, you could go with a cute dress, jewelry, romper, or some rayon or polyester shorts with a nice blouse. A more casual look could be blue jean shorts with a school tank, t-shirt dress, or nice shorts and a blouse. This is really a personal preference on how much effort you want to put in on your appearance.
Most importantly, here are our top five game day rules:
- Avoid heels – Most tailgates are on a grassy surface so walking around in heels is hard when you keep getting stuck in the ground. Also, you will be on your feet for a while so unless you want to walk around barefoot for half of the day, wear comfy shoes. A good substitute is wedges! Wedges offer a little more support, and you don’t have to worry about your heel sticking in the mud.
- The fewer layers, the better – football season starts off while it is still pretty warm outside. Not only will you be spending a lot of time outdoors, but there is a good chance that you will be spending a lot of time in direct sunlight. The more layers you wear, the more you sweat, and who really wants to keep going to the bathroom every hour to cool off?
- Double check the length of your dress – there is a very high chance that you will have to go up and down stairs or bleachers at some point during a football game. Please make sure your dress is long enough to make that happen without embarrassing yourself in front of your peers. You want to be comfortable and not concerned with flashing everyone.
- Don’t forget your sunnies – the sun has to set eventually, and when it does the sun will beat down right on your face making it nearly impossible to see or concentrate on the game. Sunglasses not only help you see, but they cover up your eye makeup when the heat makes it smudge.
- Crossbody purses are your best friends – nobody wants to carry around a huge purse all day, and there is always a chance you will sit it down somewhere and forget about it. With a crossbody, both of your hands are free and you don’t have to worry about losing it!
Check out Callie, Courtney, Burgin and Kaitlyn in our game day looks below! Photography: Lauren Tyler – http://www.lbtphotos.com